Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No Man is an Island

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne (1572 - 1631)

4 comments:

Dalva M. Ferreira said...

In our days, times of internet, we have an easy way to connect with all humankind. But I wonder JD writing alone in his room, with the light of a candle, but yet having such a connection with all the other men of the world! It is fantastic, it is pure commitment.

CarolBorne said...

"...I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee".
It is great! Every man in the earth must think about it... and do it for each other.

But, my dear friend... this is only my 'utopia'!

CarolBorne said...

Hello, my friend! Where are you? A big hug from Brasil.

paolissimo said...

Tita

Thank you! I am not well ... Labrynthitis and vertigo ... a slow recovery, but I cannot use the computer much.

Keep blogging.

Paul xxx