Thursday, June 09, 2022

The End of the Line

(A tribute to my friend Dalva whose poem this is. Poignant, sad, even a little depressing, this dark destination we all pass through!) 

Ah! when I arrived at the vortex of life, 
When nothing more, nothing around me, was ascending, 
When at last I arrived at the end of the line 
It makes no difference whether I go or come. 
When the loves and passions and friendships, 
And their range of inescapable emotions 
No longer sound like drums inside my chest, 
Being just sad, poor and sultry echoes, 
 When my bodily properties, if all regathered, 
Again in these clothes, 
My hat, one or two books, some poems 
And a feeling of not winning what I wanted, 
 Ah! when I stopped, at last, at the end of the road 
And I considered the evil that I had within me, (and what I did not have) 
I was silent, like a rock, 
Like a tree in the edge of an abyss, 
Like an arrow that was loose in the bow, 
Like an idea that would never come to fruition, 
Like a shadow, or like a rough draft, 
Of everything I dreamed, and did not have. 
This is the end of the line ……..

Dalva Maria Ferreira
Sao Paolo

1 comment:

Dalva M. Ferreira said...

Muito obrigada, meu amigo. Você é fantástico!