Monday, June 06, 2022

My New Best Friend: Chemotherapy!

Over seventeen years ago, I started blogging, and last blogged eleven years ago.  Is it time to start again?

What would have been my Dad's107th birthday (17/05/22) is significant here, the day the medics confirmed my colon cancer! Sure I'd had a bit of discomfort in my gut for three months, and thinking it was a muscle strain from the gym, it took that time to get to the GP who did the stool test which proved the need for further investigation.  

It's really impressive watching live video of one's colon and intestine on a screen which would do credit to de Bruyne and the Etihad; wow such clarity and the location of the trouble was easily identified even by me, the indestructible amateur. An hour later, the surgeon proffered, "It's not looking good!" Little else!  A CT scan a few days later confirmed the diagnosis of colon cancer with a tumour inconveniently located bang up against the liver and about the size of an orange! Everyone says, "Great they caught it early!" No they didn't; when I asked about the stage, I was told, "Stage 3 (pause) and three-quarters!" The good news, no spread can be seen, no xxxxxxx!

So Friday, 3rd June, saw me a little apprehensive as i entered The Christie alone to have the first infusion through a canula in the back of my hand. Lots of chat with the nurse first and then two and a half hours of inactivity while the chemicals followed through my veins with no apparent effect. Now, four days later, Its much the same. I've been to the gym each day and done my usual  workout with no real reduction of energy; in fact yesterday I felt really pumped up.

As for the expected side effects, very little to date; pins and needles in finger ends when handing cold metal, flatulence (is that posh for farting?), some gut ache but little else. Over the weekend I took steroids alongside the chemo tablets, apparently to ease me in to the impact of the medication. I guess I can now expect a more challenging time as from today I'm down from twenty tablets a day to just ten.




No comments: